Celebrate Earth Day with 4 Wheel PartsApril 22nd, 2010 by admin
We love our big trucks and blazing through the trails, but we also want to make sure that we have trails to crawl for years to come. Many of our off-road enthusiasts will come back from the trails with a rig full of trash and recyclables that others have left behind. We are proud supporters of Tread Lightly© and although off-roading might not be the most eco-friendly sport, we want to do all that we can to tread lightly on our planet.
In honor of Earth Day, we wanted to give you guys some good fuel economy tips and let you know about a few of our eco-friendly products.
Always make sure that your tires are inflated to the correct air pressure. Having higher air pressure will give you better gas mileage. High mileage rated tires are a great alternative to regular tires – they need to be replaced less often than regular ones, creating less waste and saving you money.
Although most people prefer alloys anyway, another great benefit besides the aesthetics of alloy wheels is that they are lighter than steel wheels, adding less weight to your truck and allowing for higher gas mileage.
Gearing plays an important role in the performance of your vehicle as well.
1. Find your preferred engine operating range (RPM)
2. Adjust tire size or gear ratio to bring it within that range.
3. Increase gear ratio or decrease tire size to add RPMs.
4. Or you can decrease gear ratio or increase tire size to lower RPMs.
A great way to save fuel and increase overall performance is by installing a few (or all!) of these performance products on your vehicle:
• An air intake kit allows the engine to get more air, making it easier to produce power, thereby increasing engine efficiency.
• Adding an exhaust system kit and/or exhaust headers will decrease back pressure, and allow the engine to breathe easier and increase efficiency.
• Performance module programmers and computer chips can assist in increasing power and efficiency of the engine when driven sensibly.
Happy Earth Day!